10 Fitness And Lifestyle Hacks For People Who Work Long Hours

10 Fitness And Lifestyle Hacks For People Who Work Long Hours

10 Fitness and Lifestyle Hacks for People Who Work Long Hours

Originally published on johnfawkes.com

Getting in shape is never easy, but it certainly doesn't help if you work fifty hours a week. I should know- I work fifty hours a week helping people who work fifty hours a week (in tech, no less) get into shape.

It's not easy- but it's certainly not impossible either. If you want to have a flat belly, toned muscles, and the stamina to run a 10k, there are two ways you can get there.

First, you can radically change your lifestyle, all at once. Start going to the gym five or six times a week, go on a strict ketogenic diet, and always be in bed by midnight.

Second, you can hack your current lifestyle. You can make small but highly effective changes to your current diet, exercise routine, and sleep habits. If you know what you're doing, small adjustments can generate disproportionate results- and you only need to make two or three at a time. You can change your lifestyle so gradually, you barely even notice it- until one day, you look in the mirror and you see your abs.

Here are ten of the most bang for your buck lifestyle changes.

1. Drink a glass of water before each meal. This has been demonstrated to reduce caloric intake in both obese and lean individuals.
2. Fill up on vegetables. Follow the 'crowding out' principle- eat a lot of fibrous, low-calorie vegetables to crowd the more calorically dense foods out of your diet. Eat vegetables with every meal, and eat them first.
3. Cook food at home, and save leftovers. If you don’t have the time or the motivation to cook every day, schedule food prep twice a week, cooking 4–6 servings of healthy food each time.
4. Work out in the late afternoon or early evening. Studies have shown that training later in the day- between 4 and 8 PM- leads to significantly greater mass and strength gains than training in the morning.
5. Start viewing willpower as an infinite resource. The popular belief that willpower is a limited resource has now been debunked. Willpower tends to work the way you expect it to- if you view it as inexhaustible, it tends to be so.
6. Get a few pieces of home exercise gear, and keep them in sight and ready to use. I personally recommend adjustable dumbbells, compact resistance bands, and a pull-up bar. Check your doorway before ordering the pull-up bar though, as it require's a the doorway to have a sizable and sturdy 'lip' projecting from the top. If money is tight, the resistance bands are the most bang for your buck of the three.
7. Practice intermittent fasting. Skip breakfast and extend your fast to 16+ hours 2–3 days a week, or fast for 36 hours once or twic.
8. End each workout with something fun. According to peak-end theory, you'll be more motivated to work out if you end each workout with a relaxing activity. Perform a cool-down exercise you enjoy, play a sport, relax in the sauna, or just spend a few minutes reading a magazine at the gym before you leave. Make the gym a fun place.
9. Occasionally do something much harder than you'd normally do. Fast for three days straight a couple times a year. Perform a two-hour workout once a month. Run a marathon. The point of these occasional bouts of hyper-intensity is not that they get you into shape, but that they re-calibrate your idea about what hard work really is.
10. When life gets tough, dial back your effort, but don't stop. Never stop dieting, and never stop working out, no matter how busy you get. Change your mental model from an on-off switch to an intensity dial- if you get too busy to keep doing what you've been doing, dial the intensity back from an eight to a six.
Habits like these help you to transform working out from something you force yourself to do, to something you just do, and even something you look forward to. They make it easy to eat nutritious, satiating food 80% of the time- so that you can eat whatever you want the other 20% of the time, guilt-free.